Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry
Thursday, May 23, 2013
25 Ways for Your Congregation to Get Involved with the UU Urban Ministry!
1. Invite someone from the UU Urban Ministry to preach at your church.
2. Take a collection for the UU Urban Ministry.
3. Teach English or provide childcare at our English as a Learning Language (ELL) Classes on Monday or Wednesday Mornings.
4. Plan/host a trip or activity for Renewal House residents and their children.
5. Plan a Saturday activity or field trip for the children in our Stand High Stand United weekend enrichment program.
6. Hold a supply drive.
7. Move your Sunday morning worship service to the First Church in Roxbury for the day.
8. Participate in our annual Renewal House Mother’s Day Card fundraiser.
9. Volunteer as a tutor for Roxbury Youth Programs one afternoon a week.
10. Offer a Santa’s Workshop table at our Holiday Party in December.
11. Participate in a UUUM Work Day.
12. If your congregation rotates its focus on social justice topics, make the UU Urban Ministry one of its foci.
13. Form a UU Urban Ministry Congregational Team that can work towards strengthening your congregation’s communication, involvement, and relationship with the UUUM.
14. Create a column in your church newsletter for regular UU Urban Ministry updates and announcements.
15. Become a mentor to a child in the Stand High Stand United Explorer’s Club program.
16. Lead a Reading Circle for Roxbury Youth Programs.
17. Help us with dinner!
18. Support our Wednesday Game Nights.
19. Be a helping hand at Annual Meeting.
20. Facilitate an Enrichment Workshop.
21. Sponsor a Beyond Shelter Event.
22. Cook a meal for residents of Renewal House.
23. Plan a fundraising, educational and/or awareness raising event at your church that incorporates information about one (or more) of our programs.
24. Lead an SAT prep session for our high school students.
25. Be on our “please do call” list.
If any of these UU Urban Ministry opportunities are of interest to you and your congregation, please contact our Coordinator of Congregational Outreach and Volunteers:
Rev. Kate Wilkinson
Also, remember to check out our website (www.uuum.org) for our online volunteer application, a calendar of events, current Renewal House needs, and other relevant information about the UU Urban Ministry.