Expressive Arts Therapist
Based in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston and nearly 200 years old, the UU Urban Ministry is one of the oldest social service organizations in the country. The mission of the UU Urban Ministry is to unite communities and transform individuals through education, service, and advocacy. We are a multi-service agency focused on education and enrichment, domestic violence shelter and services, and community engagement and development.
The UUUM has an immediate job opening for an Expressive Arts Therapist for our Renewal House domestic violence shelter and Believe in Success job-readiness program. Renewal House is a temporary emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence and abuse. Renewal House provides individual and group advocacy and support, as well as referrals and guidance in the areas of housing, education, employment and the legal system. The staff are committed to social justice by working closely with individuals and families as they move forward in their lives, and use a restorative circle model of education, advocacy and personal/communal support.
Believe in Success, based on the campus of the historic First Church in Roxbury, serves to extend Renewal House’s advocacy for survivors of domestic violence. Believe in Success is a new bilingual (Spanish/English) career development and educational-readiness program for low-income survivors of domestic violence or other trauma. Believe in Success aims to provide a set of skills that enable participants to be successful in taking their next step in life, whether that’s entry-level work, a skills-based training program, or two- or four-year college. Believe in Success focuses on the individualized needs and challenges of each participant, while maintaining a focus on community-building as an essential element of the program. The program provides a wide range of curriculum components, including computer literacy, financial skills, career development, mindfulness, self-advocacy, parenting support, ESL classes, and more.
About the role:
We are seeking a Spanish/English bilingual Expressive Arts Therapist to work in both the Renewal House and Believe in Success programs. At Believe in Success, this person will plan and facilitate weekly one hour Art Therapy sessions as well as collaborate with other facilitators to integrate art therapy into other elements of the curriculum. At Renewal House, this person will facilitate one monthly group for children, and one monthly group for parents and children together, as well as work with parents and children one-on-one as requested.
- Plan and facilitate weekly Art Therapy curriculum for adult survivors of domestic violence and other similar traumas
- Plan and facilitate monthly Art Therapy groups for children, and for families
- Work with participants and residents individually as appropriate
- Support program staff and participate in team meetings
- Collaborate with other teachers to integrate art therapy into different curricula
Preferred hours: Wednesdays and Thursday evenings, with additional flexibility for other weekday engagements.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Commitment to social justice
- Energetic, enthusiastic team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of restorative justice philosophy in working with individuals who have experienced trauma
- Experience working with children and families
- Computer aptitude
- Professional attitude
- Master of Expressive Arts Therapy
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org