History: First Church in Roxbury
Second Meetinghouse: 1674-1741
In 1624 the congregation built a new meetinghouse to accommodate the growing population in Roxbury. Residents in the western-most part of Roxbury (now West Roxbury) built their own church in 1711, calling it the Second Church in Roxbury and, later, the Theodore Parker Church. Brookline residents, who had also been worshipping at First Church in Roxbury, built their own church in 1717. Although the new churches relieved some of the pressure on First Church, by 1736 the congregation was looking to build a third meetinghouse with more seating to accommodate the growing population.